Hello there. My name is Nishant Ratnakar. I am a Bangalore, India based Newborn & Kids portrait photographer. And I am also a father to a little girl who loves posing for her dad 🙂
I believe that ‘The whole world is my studio’. I like to step out of an actual studio and photograph children & families at real locations and in real environments – from their homes to workplaces to outdoor locales. My primary objective in portraiture is to bring out in photographs the character and personality of the people being photographed. I want each portrait to tell a story – your story. They say that portraiture is one of the oldest forms of story-telling.
Photographing children of all ages has been a rewarding experience at many levels. Making portraits of kids needs a lot of patience, and working on these photo sessions has made me more patient than ever. In many ways, it also an opportunity for me to relive my childhood. My little girl (Ruh) gives me this opportunity daily. And that’s I have an alter ego on Instagram named as the Dadagrapher!
Children grow up real fast. While I make portraits of kids and newborn with their family, I also strive to create an honest representation of what the kids looked like at that point of time in their lives for them to look back years later. That’s the power of photographs – to freeze a moment in time forever.
I bring in my experience of photojournalism, editorial photography, and documentary photography skills, into the portraiture works that I undertake. I am available to do commissioned newborn & child portraits across the country.
If you are not familiar with my newborn & kids portrait photography style, then please take a look at the below work to get acquainted with it.
Newborn and Children Portrait Photography in Bengaluru
Click here to see a portfolio of my general portraiture work on my website.
What is the process of booking me for a Portrait session?
It is simple. There are 7 steps by which I’ll be honored with the responsibility of making your portraits. Indeed, being trusted with this responsibility is an honor for me. I’ll cherish it forever.
- Contact me via the contact form.
- We’ll soon have a conversation (over a phone call, video call, coffee or beer too!)
- We agree on a quote/package tailored to your requirements.
- We sign the standard contract online. (Yes. Sign it digitally. No tree being killed for paperwork)
- You Pay the session fee. (And the deal is confirmed!)
- I photograph the session, and you make the final payment at the end of the session. (Your job is done)
- After an intensive time spent editing the work (about 2 to 3 weeks), I deliver the final images on the promised date.
See. It is that simple We can add few more steps after this, like getting your Photo book designed and prints made (Or you return again in future for some more portraits 🙂 ).
How much does it cost to hire my services?
My lifestyle newborn & kids portrait photography collection starts from ₹20,000 onward for a single session. And they include a set of post-processed high-resolution digital files as a deliverable.
Based on the number of extra sessions, and your additional requirements like photo books, photo prints, and canvas prints, we will always tailor a collection for you. So do write to me for more details on the pricing and products.
What about out-station & destination portraits?
I am based in Bangalore city. But, I travel across the country on assignments (and that’s what I love about my profession and life as a photographer). My portrait photography service costs do not change with location. It will remain the same for a calendar year irrespective of where the session would be held. But, for all out-station & destination portrait shoot sessions, the extra travel costs and accommodation will have to be provided by the clients.
How do we make the payments?
- The booking fee payments can be made online via Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking at my secured payment link on Instamojo or by Bank Transfer.
- The final payments can be done online by the above methods, by cheque or cash too.
- The booking fee is a commitment to honor the contract and confirm the newborn or baby portrait session.
- The final payment is to be done on or before the session date. This ensures that post-production can begin without any delay.
What will our first conversation be like?
As I said earlier, I’ve been a photojournalist. So that’s why I want to connect with you in advance, to get to know you, your story, your likes, your dislikes, your baby/child (of course!) and something about your partner and family. This enables me to capture the storytelling elements or your personality in portraits.
So our conversations will be largely centered around the points that I mentioned above. And yes, we will also discuss the business side of the lifestyle newborn and family portrait photography too – your budget, your requirements, my quotes, and so on. To make this easier, I will share a questionnaire in advance for you to fill it up before our chat.
Why does it take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver the final images?
The work at any portrait session doesn’t end with just the shoot. There is an intensive time spent by my world-class editing team in editing the photographs.
I see myself as a visual artist and what I give to you as a finished work of art. How would it be if an author gave readers scattered sheets of scribbled text or manuscripts, instead of the crafted final book? I see my services in the same light.
We don’t expect you to waste your precious time shifting through tons of photographs, a majority of which will be of no use to you. Many images would have been shot in succession and will either be duplicates or identical shots. And a lot of them would be either underexposed, blurred or a non-usable shot. So, we take great care in shifting through this pile and giving you the very best (nothing, but the best). And this takes time.
Will you share with us the dump of unedited or RAW images?
The answer is, No.
As I mentioned in the previous question, my team and I take the complete responsibility of shifting through the pile of images to find the best for you, so that you don’t have to do it (you’d rather spend time with your family and friends doing what you love).
Since we do this task, you can be assured that there are no great images left out from being given to you. Would I gain anything by not sharing with you something that is good :)? No, right?
Also, what you see in my portfolio and blog is a polished and edited body of work. All the editing is in the line of with my artistic vision. And this vision is what you have come to like and admire. So any unedited image is not part of my vision and not something that you will like.
Honestly, I am trying to sell you an experience and not sell just another portrait product or package in the market. The above decisions are in line with giving you the best experience possible.
What about Copyrights and licensing?
The copyright model that I follow is what all the lifestyle portrait photographers across India and the rest of the world are following too.
- As a creative professional photographer and as the author of the photographs, I retain the copyrights of the photographs that I create. This is done with a purpose of fair-use.
- As a client, you are given the license to make personal, non-commercial uses of your photographs. That would mean making countless prints/uploads/sharing online with friends & family and practically anything, as long as it doesn’t generate any income for yourself or the people you share them with.
Why is this model followed?
- Fair use for creative professionals and artists like me, is the ability to showcase our work to prospective clients. By fair use, I will probably use the images on my website, blog, the internet, social media, magazine, print or any other medium deemed fit to promote and showcase my work.
- You are a prospective client. You are considering me as the photographer for your portraits because you have seen my work on my website, blog, my social media pages or at a trade show. Or maybe you have read reviews or articles about me and my work on the web or in a publication.
- The reason you have been able to see and appreciate my work is because of this fair use. If you could not see my work, would you hire me? No, right? So, it is fair to let other prospective clients be able to see the good work that I do for you, isn’t it? Now that’s fair-use.
- This is how all contemporary photographers work today.
How do we sign the Portrait Photography Contract with you?
As mentioned earlier, our workflow would include a contract which you(the client) and I (the photographer) will sign. This ensures that we fulfill the contract commitments with highest professional standards. The contract includes all the points mentioned above, your session itinerary, payment schedule, the sales order for your portrait session and other points necessary for a shooting a portrait session.
My clients are located all over the globe. Hence, I follow a paperless method of signing the contract. This saves time and is also good for the environment. Once we agree on a quote, we sign the contract digitally on my client portal.
I hope with this section I have been able to answer all your questions. Now let us make some beautiful photographs! If you have any more questions, do feel free to write to me using the contact form. I am waiting to have that conversation with you :).